User Profile

Wild Woila

wildwoila@wyrms.de

Joined 1 year, 6 months ago

I have #mecfs so I have a lot of time for reading, mostly #fantasy and #SciFi but I'm happy to dip into nearly anything.

Ratings: 1 star: I didn't like it 2 stars: it was okay 3 stars: I liked it 4 stars: I really liked it 5 stars: it was brilliant

This link opens in a pop-up window

Wild Woila's books

avatar for wildwoila Wild Woila boosted
Ernest Cline: Ready Player One (Ready Player One, #1) (Paperback, 2011, Crown Publishers) 4 stars

Ready Player One is a 2011 science fiction novel, and the debut novel of American …

80s nostalgia with a clever concept, but weak narrative

3 stars

Overall this was a fun read. The world itself is quite dystopian, but the OASIS is incredible. It feels like a very natural evolution of today's online society, for better or worse. Some of the plot can feel a little sluggish with the exposition and the slowdown in the second arc of the book, but it has a good payoff at the end. The characters are OK, but not developed as well as the focus is almost solely on the main character Parzival and his obsession with the 80s, the hunt, and Art3mis. I think the concept behind this (and the nostalgia) was pretty good, though the narrative could have been better, both in terms of characters and plot.

For a full review, check out my blog: strakul.blogspot.com/2024/05/book-review-ready-player-one-by-ernest.html

Omar Musa: Millefiori (2017, Penguin Random House) 3 stars

Poetry with a hiphop steetwise feel

3 stars

Poetry with a hiphop steetwise feel. On prejudice, a broken world, and lost love. A few were great, but a bunch missed me.

'We know that the world is a horror story, but we also know it's got love notes at the margins.'

Reading time 5 days, 20 pages/day

J.R.R. Tolkien: The Silmarillion (Paperback, 1982, Ballantine Books) 4 stars

A number-one New York Times bestseller when it was originally published, The Silmarillion is the …

avatar for wildwoila Wild Woila boosted
Becky Chambers: Prayer for the Crown-Shy (Hardcover, 2022, Doherty Associates, LLC, Tom) 5 stars

After touring the rural areas of Panga, Sibling Dex (a Tea Monk of some renown) …

Beautiful book. I am amazed at Becky Chamber's magic abilities.

5 stars

Content warning General spoilers

Bessel van der Kolk: The Body Keeps the Score (2014) 5 stars

Trauma is a fact of life. Veterans and their families deal with the painful aftermath …

The massive burden of trauma

4 stars

Trauma is a major unrecognised public health issue. Talk therapy and drugs are not effective; emotional & social engagement has to be revived. Not as useful as I hoped for my own issues, but neurofeedback and EMDR are intriguing.

Reading time 24 days, 18 pages/day

reviewed Unbranded by Herb Wharton (UQP Black Australian writers)

Herb Wharton: Unbranded (1992, University of Queensland Press, Distributed by International Specialized Services) 3 stars

Simple but evocative

3 stars

Fictionalised autobiography of an Aboriginal stockman in the pastoral outback. Despite simple prose, it absorbingly evokes that long gone world with its tall stories, colourful characters (so much grog!) and damages of colonisation.

Reading time 13 days, 19 pages/day