User Profile

velvet_shrimp

velvet_shrimp@bookwyrm.social

Joined 1 year, 2 months ago

So many books - so little time. Spooky stuff, fantasy, romance, adventure, travel, dystopia, classics, Chaos 🦐

This link opens in a pop-up window

velvet_shrimp's books

Currently Reading (View all 6)

2024 Reading Goal

30% complete! velvet_shrimp has read 15 of 50 books.

commented on Penance by Eliza Clark

Eliza Clark: Penance (2023, HarperCollins Publishers) 5 stars

I only just now realized this story is fictional, when I tried to search for Crow-on-sea on Google maps. I'm so relieved. I am sure horrific crimes like this happen but am not into true crime, so I am not used to reading this graphic stuff. Also I don't know how this was ended up on my reading list. But enjoying it kind of. Very elaborate backstories. The audiobook has different actors with accents and stuff, its pretty well done as well.

Brandon Sanderson: The Way of Kings (Hardcover, 2010, Tor) 4 stars

From #1 New York Times bestselling author Brandon Sanderson, The Way of Kings, book one …

So much effort was put into this

2 stars

But I still hated it... The so praised world building has a lot of parts that didn't make any sense. At least to me. I understand the ideas that went into it but I think it has some logical flaws. (Eg men rule but don't know how to read?) Also the fighting scenes, how do you fight an enemy for years and years without ever capturing and questioning one? Nothing is known at all about the mysterious enemy at all after all these years? And they haven't adapted their strategy all this time to actually try and win in a greater scale? The hero is so concerned about honor, but the way he acts, especially regarding the enemy I found horrible. Don't want to spoiler anything but the armour - wtf? And then, its so long without much happening at all. Yes some character development I guess but kaladins story …

commented on The Way of Kings by Brandon Sanderson

Brandon Sanderson: The Way of Kings (Hardcover, 2010, Tor) 4 stars

From #1 New York Times bestselling author Brandon Sanderson, The Way of Kings, book one …

Content warning No major plot spoilers. Started writing then it turned into a rant. Sorry