User Profile

ralentina Locked account

valecrrr@supernormalreads.nl

Joined 3 months, 4 weeks ago

This link opens in a pop-up window

ralentina's books

Octavia E. Butler: Parable Of The Sower (2000) 3 stars

In 2025, with the world descending into madness and anarchy, one woman begins a fateful …

An on-the-nose parable

3 stars

In a dystopian not-so-far future, a young woman tries to build a community and a religion amidst the violence, poverty and desperation. It is speculative fiction in its most unsubtle form, exploring our own society through an adventure-driven plot (and, be warned, LOADS of violence). It's social commentary is a bit on-the-nose. Compared to other works by Butler I read, I didn't think it was as skillful (Bloodchild) or original (Kindred). But if you take the book for what it is, you can immerse yourself in the story, appreciate the fact that for once the default identity of characters is not white and male, and feel even more pessimistic about the turn our world is taking.

Ursula K. Le Guin: The Left Hand of Darkness (Paperback, 2000, Ace Trade) 4 stars

"One of my favorite novels is The Left Hand of Darkness, by Ursula K Le …

A man's journey into a genderless world

3 stars

Like all good science fiction, The Left Hand of Darkness is not really about other planets  (like Winter, a frozen world dominated by a bureaucratic and a pre-modern kingdom), other eras (when people, ideas and goods can travel between worlds) or other beings (genderless humans). It's about us, the political structures and social relations we live in. Le Guin excels at this. The story is a solid adventure. I am less of a fan of the slightly hippie ying and yang duality philosophical musings, and the aphorism-like writing, which are not my vibe.

Graham Greene: The heart of the matter (1978, Penguin Books, Penguin (Non-Classics)) 5 stars

Focusing on a British police officer in an unnamed West African colony, this novel attempts …

Old problematic Graham strikes again

5 stars

Set in a generic African colony (probably inspired by Sierra Leone), it's the story of a British policeman, and his struggle to reconcile love, morality and religion. Although religion is at the heart of the matter, Scoobie's sense of responsibility and moral duty are something I could relate to. That is, until the last third of the book, when I just wanted to punch this self-involved bastard in the face. A Catholic may feel otherwise. Beyond this moral issues, what makes the book great is the rest of the matter, so to speak. The life in the colony, its narrowness and banal injustice are described without accusation or analysis. There is nothing particularly postcolonial, let alone anti-colonial, about Green's writing, but also no sense of glory in the empire. I particularly loved the characterisations of the British officers as this pack of snotty boys just out of school. It came …

Mallory Ortberg: The merry spinster (2018, Holt Paperbacks) 3 stars

"A collection of darkly mischievous stories based on classic fairy tales."--Front flap.

Creepy creepy fary tales

3 stars

Creepy fairy tales and myths. By which I mean, even creepier than usual. It was high and lows. My favourites: The Daughter Cells, The Six Boy-Coffins and The Rabbit. It is certainly a clever book, and a well-written one, too. I found some of the stories too cerebral, or too concerned with not being obvious, to the point that they become hard to enjoy. Admittedly, I am not at all sure the enjoyment was necessarily in the author's plans.

Roberto Bolaño: Notturno Cileno (Paperback, Italiano language, 2016) 3 stars

«Ora muoio, ma ho ancora molte cose da dire. Ero in pace con me stesso. …

The agony of a bystander

3 stars

A flowing monologue about literature, intellectualism, centrism, political apathy, Chile. Maybe I read another book compared to the person who wrote the back-cover description: I read the narrator as much more ambiguous that they make it sound. I picked it to get to know more about Chile, but I mainly feel like I know more about the crisis of consciousness of a dying soul.

Graham Greene: The quiet American (2004, Penguin Books) 5 stars

This novel is a study of New World hope and innocence set in an Old …

My beloved, problematic Graham

5 stars

Vietnam, 1950s. Pyle is the quiet American, young, idealist, determined to bring democracy to Vietnam. Fowler is the disillusioned, cynical British reporter. Phuong is the Vietnamese woman they both want. As a novel, it is impeccable. It also offers an insightful, complex commentary on that war, and many other wars too. The portrayal of Phuong (as a flower, a victim, a child, a servant woman), the frequent use of sexual imagery to talk about the colonies and their inhabitants are very disturbing. Even if Greene seems to be aware of it, i.e. aware that everyone is making up their own Phuong to fit their story. Does it make it OK?

Eka Kurniawan: Man Tiger (Paperback, 2015, Verso) 4 stars

An extraordinarily beautiful, sly, ribald, and compulsively readable novel

A wry, affecting tale set in …

A gut reaction to Man Tiger

4 stars

After a very gory first chapter, Man Tiger settles into a family history that juxtaposes surrealism and the bleak reality of a muddy Indonesian village, in a house where relative poverty and domestic violence are an everyday issue. The narration proceed in meandering ways, with side characters and stories that would deserve their own books, until the hit-you-in-the-stomach finale. Man tiger is a sort of hyper-realistic metaphor for the kind of deep anger and frustration that can bring a man (sic) to kill.

Martin Booth: Gweilo (Paperback, Bantam Press) 5 stars

Evocative, funny and full of life - a beautifully written and observed childhood memoir of …

Preemptive nostalgia

5 stars

Loved this one. It is a melancholic homage to Hong Kong in the 1950s, of course from the eyes of a British kid, son of a colonial civil servant. It is full of affection and enthusiasm for the city, explored week after week by the then 10yo author. It is also a sweet, at times hilarious family portrait, conveying, beyond the humor, immense love and admiration for Martin's mum, and resentment for his dad. I bought it on my second-to-last night in Hong Kong, at the theatre show inspired by the book, so maybe I was in the ideal conditions to find it a fantastic read.

Feng Chi-shun: Diamond Hill: (Paperback, 2009, Blacksmith Books) 3 stars

"Diamond Hill was one of the poorest and most backward of villages in Hong Kong …

Another side of HK

3 stars

Inspired by Martin Booth's memoir, Gweilo, I decided to buy yet one more book before leaving Hong Kong. The back cover suggests that it 'invites' comparisons with Gweilo, but really if you read them on consecutive days, invitations turn into demands. I'm afraid that Booth is a better writer, and has a talent for creating a sense of nostalgia without sounding boring, or like an old uncle constantly shaking his head at the moral decay of our times and the new generation. Feng Chi-Shun's book is more interesting as a document, quite literally a documentation of what Hong Kong was like 50 years ago, than it is as a memoir. But this is no small thing: the Hong Kong to which the author had access is different from Booth's, and certainly unknown and harder to imagine for gweilos like me.

Doris Lessing: The Grass Is Singing (Hardcover, Harpercollins Pub Ltd) 4 stars

like it

How did it happen?

3 stars

In 1940s (?) Rhodesia, a white woman is killed my her houseboy. Is is not a murder mystery, but an exploration of how how things got to that point. How the woman came to be who she is, marry her husband, live in that house, have that servant. How the black man came to kill her. How the neighbours and police came to not investigate the matter, came not to be surprised or sorry. How the whites came to dehumanise the blacks in Rhodesia.

Mary, the main character, her husband and their relation are portrayed with nuance and sensitivity. I think we're meant to hate Mary, but really I felt like she had not really chance in the world she grew up. By comparison, the character of Moses (the houseboy), strikes me as a caricature of himself, and of all the most trite stereotypes. Probably the book also came across …

Andrea Camilleri: Il Giro Di Boa (Hardcover, Italiano language, 2003, Sellerio) 4 stars

L'inchiesta più dura del commissario Montalbano comincia con un cadavere pescato per caso in alto …

A very italian murder mystery

4 stars

A solid murder mystery plot + masterful language that blends Italian and Sicilian + a touch of humor + very passionate food descriptions + social commentary on issues that are sadly still relevant today