User Profile

🇲🇽🐧🖥🎵🕹🍺Y͢i͢Z͢u͢X͢🎮⛸📱

tuxsaveus@bookwyrm.social

Joined 3 months, 3 weeks ago

Geek por instinto | Linux por certeza | Fedora por su pollo!!!

This link opens in a pop-up window

🇲🇽🐧🖥🎵🕹🍺Y͢i͢Z͢u͢X͢🎮⛸📱's books

avatar for tuxsaveus 🇲🇽🐧🖥🎵🕹🍺Y͢i͢Z͢u͢X͢🎮⛸📱 boosted

My current take on the situation, not having read the actual source backdoor commits yet (thanks a lot for hiding the evidence at this point...) besides reading what others have written about it (cf. https://boehs.org/node/everything-i-know-about-the-xz-backdoor for a good timeline):

1. This is going to be an excellent teaching example for advanced supply chain attacks that I will definitely be using in the future - after much more in-depth analysis.

2. It seems to have been a long game, executed with an impressive sequence of steps and preparation, including e.g. disabling OSSFuzz checks for the particular code path and pressuring the original maintainer into accepting the (malicious) contributions.

3. The potential impact could have been massive, and we got incredibly lucky that it was caught and reported (https://www.openwall.com/lists/oss-security/2024/03/29/4) early. Don't count on such luck in the future.

4. Given the luck …

avatar for tuxsaveus 🇲🇽🐧🖥🎵🕹🍺Y͢i͢Z͢u͢X͢🎮⛸📱 boosted