Matt K

mttktz@bookwyrm.social

Joined 1 year, 9 months ago

Hiya! I'm also hostux.social/@mattk for talking about more than books

This link opens in a pop-up window

Matt K's books

Currently Reading (View all 5)

2024 Reading Goal

45% complete! Matt K has read 9 of 20 books.

Robert A. Caro: The Power Broker (Paperback, 1975) 5 stars

One of the most acclaimed books of our time, winner of both the Pulitzer and …

The Old Guard which had foisted Moses' candidacy upon the GOP as adequately punished, in influence would remain strong in the party, out awaty leaders who couldn't afford to let their local candidates caugure in the undertow of the sinking of a poor candidate and who were determined that one as poor as Moses should never again head the ticket, would never let the Old Guard hand-pick another candidate. His candidacy was its Waterloo.

The Power Broker by

Robert Moses was so bad a gubernatorial candidate that he helped change the party so a candidate like him couldn’t be nominated again.

Deb Chachra: How Infrastructure Works (2023, Penguin Publishing Group) 5 stars

A new way of seeing the essential systems hidden inside our walls, under our streets, …

I’m loving the beauty of “plan for energy abundance “.

I also love the thoughtful discussion of how systems can be robust and reliable through redundancy. And how we need more slack in systems to plan for resilience as well.

In my world of distributed systems we do a lot to plan for capacity and available slack in systems. Making sure you have slack in a system is incredibly important because shocks to it aren’t linear.

Robert Sheckley: The Status Civilization (Paperback, 1960, Signet) 4 stars

Barrent had been tried, convicted, and memory-washed on Earth-an Earth strangely altered and stratified by …

Content warning Plot reveal