User Profile

PictoPirate

PictoPirate@bookwyrm.social

Joined 6 months ago

Shaun hails from the grim north of England where meat pie for breakfast is, if not normal, not entirely a thing to be scared of and the gravy flows freely.

He has been writing for his own entertainment for as long as he can remember but only recently started to share his… gift is a strong word, umm… vaguely entertaining nonsense with a broader audience. A three time veteran of the 14/48 Leicester Theatre Festival Shaun has six plays, and countless short stories under his belt including several published via the Dagna Theatre backed Novel Dreamers. If that’s not enough, you can find various other bits and pieces right here at pictopirate.com or pick up his first collection of short stories Past Due: A Collection of Birthday Tales on Amazon.

While yet to win any awards or recognition Shaun thinks it can only be a matter of time, I mean they have Razzies for books right?

This link opens in a pop-up window

PictoPirate's books

Currently Reading

Gareth L. Powell: The Church of Accelerated Redemption (EBook, 2018) 3 stars

Installing a network for the Church of Accelerated Redemption is just another crappy job in …

As an introduction to the disturbing world of misery, greed and advanced technology, The Church of Accelerated Redemption works well. There are some great ideas and a ton of scope for exciting stories. However, this world deserves more than any short story could provide, and you’re left wishing some of the ideas had some more time to bloom.

Here’s hoping the authors will return and realise some of the world's potential in greater depth.

Michael G. Munz: Zeus Is Dead (Paperback, 2014, Red Muse Press) 4 stars

Zeus Is Dead is a fun mix of mythology and modern life with some brilliantly written characters and genius ideas. The dialogue is sharp, the asides hilarious, and the fourth wall is broken so many times it needs to be taken out back and shot. If you're on board with the humour it will add up to something great and something you probably haven't seen anywhere else.

Fredrik Backman: A Man Called Ove (Hardcover, 2015, Turtleback Books) 4 stars

A grumpy yet loveable man finds his solitary world turned on its head when a …

A Man Called Ove is a wonderfully written story of grief and healing. You'll likely dislike Ove, the curmudgeonly protagonist, but as the story progresses, effortlessly weaving snapshots from the past through his present troubles, you'll come to love the miserable old sod.

Beautiful, funny and heartbreaking, A Man Called Ove is a fantastic book that will make you laugh and cry in equal measure.

Ayn Rand: Atlas Shrugged (Hardcover, 1957, Random House) 3 stars

Atlas Shrugged is a 1957 novel by Ayn Rand. Rand's fourth and final novel, it …

Atlas Shrugged is a profoundly flawed and unpleasant story that is a bloated, preachy mess from start to finish. As an illustration, one whole 100+ page chapter later in the book is given over to a speech, which could be boiled down to one sentence: "If you're not being selfish and making as much money as possible, you are the literal devil."

Boil the book down to 300 pages, and it could have been worth a read as there are some interesting threads, but being relentlessly beaten over the head by Rand's philosophy of greed is good grows so tiresome by the baffling conclusion you'll be wishing you hadn't bothered.

Chris Ollis, Happy Toast: So You've Gone and Done a Brexit (2019, Independently Published) 4 stars

The UK government has gone and done a Brexit, but completely forgotten to tell the …

So you've gone and done a Brexit: A Govern-mental booklet on surviving food shortages, making your own medicine and sacrificing loved ones. As you've probably guessed, it is a fun parody survival guide to help the readers with the horrors to come post-Brexit.

It reminded me of those fun Vault-Tec guides to the Wasteland from Fallout 4. Fun short bits of advice on topics such as disposing of a body, eating your pets and forming a militia.

If, like me, you're feeling a little down about the horrible mess our country is in, this will at least give you something to laugh about before the inevitable societal collapse. Let's be honest we all need that at the moment (The laugh, not the unavoidable societal collapse).

Jim Zub, Patrick Rothfuss, Troy Little: Rick and Morty vs. Dungeons & Dragons (2019, IDW Publishing) 4 stars

When Morty sees a cute girl at school playing Dungeons & Dragons, he asks Rick …

My Thoughts on Rick and Morty vs. Dungeons & Dragons

4 stars

Rick and Morty vs. Dungeons & Dragons is a fun-packed graphic novel that fits perfectly into the show's canon. It may be written by Patrick Rothfuss and Jim Zub instead of the show creators, but you wouldn't know as they perfectly capture the show's feel.

The book is split into four episodes, each standing alone while still feeling part of a broader story. It's also wonderfully illustrated with several D&D Hall of Famer cameos, a particular highlight for me.

You may be wondering if you need to like D&D to enjoy it, and to that, I'd answer you don't, but it helps. If you're a show fan, you'll enjoy it regardless, but if you're not into D&D, you will miss some references and in jokes.

The best thing about Rick and Morty vs. Dungeons & Dragons is that it feels like an episode. Funny, irreverent and packed with superb illustrations …