User Profile

Eric Ireland

EricIreland@bookwyrm.social

Joined 2 years, 9 months ago

This link opens in a pop-up window

Eric Ireland's books

Currently Reading

Bjö Natthiko Lindeblad: I May Be Wrong (2023, Bloomsbury Publishing Plc) 5 stars

'This book really, really will stay with me forever. It's not only laced with the …

honest and inspiring

5 stars

I like the way he approached life, with equanimity, trying not to get caught up in judgements about good and bad and right and wrong like the title, "I may be wrong". Someone asked Ajahn Chah what the biggest barrier for westerners was and he answered "opinions".

When Lindeblad found out he was dying of ALS, he just kept on going, teaching meditation as long as he could. He didn't actually write this book though - it was ghost written based on his talks about life at meditation retreats and on Swedish radio.

Bjö Natthiko Lindeblad: I May Be Wrong (2023, Bloomsbury Publishing Plc) 5 stars

'This book really, really will stay with me forever. It's not only laced with the …

All of us are like pebbles washed up on a beach. When we get there, we're rough and jagged. Then the waves of life roll in. And if we can find it in us to stay there and let the other pebbles on the beach jostle us and rub against us and wear us down, our sharp edges will slowly but surely fade. We'll become rounded and smooth, we'll reflect the light and begin to shine.

I May Be Wrong by  (Page 56)

Cal Newport: Digital Minimalism (Hardcover, 2019, Portfolio) 4 stars

Digital minimalists are all around us. They're the calm, happy people who can hold long …

Thoughtful advice for the hyperonline

4 stars

Like a lot of these sort of books, Newport uses a lot of interesting anecdotes and historical stories to pad out his overall message which is that while the internet can be useful, you can have too much of a good thing and it can't replace human contact and social media can't replace voice conversations. I feel this is true. Some of his advice like planning your leisure time (actually writing out a plan) sounds too much like work to me. Maybe that would help some people. His main idea though, is to go on a sort of "digital detox" for a month and then reintroduce social media and other "internet entertainment" in a more conscious way, so you're not picking up your phone whenever you feel bored. I have found this has helped me a lot.

I listened to this as an audiobook while I was driving around delivering …